Old 02-26-07, 04:08 PM
JohnBrooking
Commuter

Bikes: 2006 Giant Cypress EX (7-speed internal hub)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do. Although I used my bike for transportation off and on in high school and college, it was not regular, and I don't recall being aware of riding vehicularly in more than a very general sense. But then after college I went about 10 years without riding more than once or twice a year, and then just short recreational rides on quiet streets. So I do remember driving without being what I would now call a cyclist, by which I mean intentionally and regularly.

Specifically, I clearly remember seeing bike lanes and wondering how they were supposed to work with the rest of the traffic flow. Especially one that approached an intersection between a straight-through lane and a right-turn only lane. Although that is the correct placement for a straight-through cyclist, it made me wonder what the cyclist was supposed to do if he or she was not going straight - leave the lane? Are they allowed to do that? Why bother having a lane for cyclists going straight but not for those turning? I'm sure this confusion that I remember as a non-cycling motorist is part of my suspicion of bike lanes today...