Old 02-26-07, 04:33 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by wroomwroomoops
So, I realized I like frames which are 54 or even 56, except for the standover height - because I'm only 171cm tall, and have relatively short legs, too.

Also, I like to have the seat relatively high for my height, too.

So, am I condemned to use women's frames ?

You've posed an interesting question as to why you like a larger frame than would nominaly be thought correct and your only realy concerned about standover.

Well firstly standover is irelevent on a road bike. On my first real roadbike standover just didn't exist. Maybe it was something like MINUS 3"! Nowadays on my custom 650c frame I've got only just clearance where I can feel the top tube under me but that's standover in my book.

Would you be better off with a WSD frame?

Actualy I think they would be worse for you because of steeper seat tube angles. Having read this thread I suspect the reason you like the bigger frames is that bigger frames have more relaxed seat tube angles which places your weight more rearward which then makes it easier to reach forward in comfort to the handlebars. I've looked at the geometry specs of many frames including WSD frames and rather than having genuinely shorter top tube lengths most if not all WSD frames simply have steeper seat tube angles which does shorten the top tube but not in the way you wan't. This simply moves your but forward which is the same as using a smaller frame which you don't like anyway.

You could go custom if you wanted or had the money. Have a frame built with a relaxed seat tube angle, slightly lower bottom bracket to lower the top tube and they could pull the head tube back closer to the BB if you wanted shorter reach.

Otherwise you need to acurately measure your current frame yourself and assess new frame options yourself by taking your OWN measurements and not relying on what others specify.

The key measurements here are the top tube length in RELATION to the BB. You need to take a vertical line up from the centre of the BB and measure back to the seat tube or the saddle nose or both even and then forward to the centre of the steering tube. Its important that these measurements be considered seperate. You could also measure the seat tube angle if you happen to have the device required.

All you realy need to do this is a tape measure ( a little bit of stiffness helps) and a plum bob/line to find the horizontal anchor on the TT.

That and measuring the head tube length and that's about all you need to know for fit of the frame anyway.

Regards, Anthony