Old 02-26-07, 05:54 PM
Johnny Payphone
Rat Patrol Chicago

Bikes: None, all, it's the same thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last January we had a memorial ride for Isaiah who was killed riding his chopper down Western. I took the grillbike with a fire as a sort of pyre. The cops swarmed in to break up our candlelight vigil. Coming back from getting the Rat Patrol out of jail, I got doored while riding with the fire and some drunk in a land-yacht came pretty close to a lapful of hot coals. But the rear end broke off the grillbike and I had to redo it.

I fabricated a long headtube and steertube for extra leverage. The rest is just a small-tall. Five speeds and three brakes- left, right, and drag. Eventually I'll make the drag a footbrake on the right chainstay. The 20" wheel is good for strength, and the short wheelbase makes the bike more manuverab- maneuvera- turn more tightly. I call this bike "Fire Bike With Me" but everybody just refers to it as "the grillbike".

You'd think 35 gallons of grill would be enough, but once we get the corn, sausage, rabbit, and kebabs on there there's no room for the veggie burgers. I keep encouraging the vegetarian-vegan crowd to make another one so we can separate the meat and vegetables and that way we won't have to hear about how there's bacon grease dripping on somebody's organic soy macrobiotic vegan tofu blandburger. You should see the original Meatwagon, it's been used for so much chicken grillin' it's just caked in grease. A grill changes "we rode to the beach" to "we grilled out on the beach", you should seriously think about building one. It can transform a summer.

All bearings and hinges are lubricated with bacon grease...