View Single Post
Old 02-26-07, 07:22 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by EJ123
Oh, well that's a relief then. I read a book last summer that said avoid HFCS, so that's not a problem, hehe.
I just worry about the insulin spike. And sugar rotting teeth=p, but I did read that insulin spikes is practilly telling your body to go out of the burning fat mode. I also try to have low GI foods mainly to keep insuilin down, but I do realize that the GI # on a food can differ significantly to the Insulin Index. I wish foods would keep an insulin # on it.
Nothing wrong with the insulin-spike, it will ALWAYS happen after a meal. You want to monitor how high is the peak of the spike and its duration. For pre-ride meal, during and post-ride recovery, you actually want as high-GI fastest-digesting carbs possible to give the highest insulin-spike possible. This moves glucose from the bloodstream into the muscle cells where you want it.

During exercise, it's simply not possible to digest and absorb as many carb-calories as you burn off; your glucose & insulin levels will always decrease as you ride. It can actually get to too-low levels where elevated levels of glucagon and cortisol will cause muscle catabolism.

The problem with insulin-spikes comes in when you're a sedentary couch potatoe who eats 1500-calories+ of simple-carbs in each meal and sits around watching TV. His insulin-spike will be much higher than yours and will last for hours. This long-term constant bombardment of G4 receptors when the cells are fully packed of glycogen can eventually led to reduced insulin-sensitivity and even diabetes.

So again, "it depends" upon the conditions.