chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
The overt action is slowing... which some motorists take as giving them ROW.
You mean you don't shift down and peddle faster, even though you are actually slowing, to give the driver the perception that you are speeding up?

Seriously, I think part of the problem is that drivers have a hard time judging our speed, so they really can't tell if we are slowing or accelerating - even if we give them some overt sign like ceasing to pedal or pedaling faster...they just don't pay that much attention to detail. Indeed, in the case where they aren't giving a good enough look to notice us at all, what actions we are taking are totally irrelevant to them because they don't see us in the first place.

I think the point I am trying to make is that we need to notice them way before they ever notice us, and be prepared to deal with whatever stupid thing they might do...it's more mental - knowing what we will do based on their actions, than physical - actually taking some action. But don't get me wrong...slowing is good and I agree, sometimes it does confuse them when they see us...but at least that means they see us.
(I'm sounding like Yogi Berra here, ain't I?)