Old 02-28-07, 10:38 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's all about clearing an intersection, and you begin clearing an intersection many seconds before you get there, whether you are piloting a bicycle, car, truck, or whatever.

You put yourself where others can see you, of course with lights and bright clothing, you vaguely pre-plan an escape route, and when you spot them coming out without stopping, you warn, and slow / stop / evade.

If your attention is focused completely right in front of your front wheel, if you are not paying attention many seconds down the road, you will not be able to anticipate threats in this manner, and yes, people will think you are claivoyant.

I am not making this up, either. I'm basically quoting directly from the world-class driver safety training that we are all required to take at work (Schlumberger... oilfield equipment up to hundreds of thousands of dollars or more per truck). So if this is "armchair cycling", so be it. I don't care what anyone calls it. It works whatever vehicle you're piloting.

http://www.slb.com/content/services/...PaperId=86750&

Originally Posted by twahl
I see this all the time, and it's probably the biggest threat that I regularly encounter while riding. I also think that for the most part, it's avoidable. That comes of course from my own personal experience, since I see it so often I've become very aware of it and can pretty much predict when it's likely to happen. Often I'll give a warning to my riding buddies like "watch this one, she's not stopping" and they'll look at me like I'm clairvoyant when it happens.

Last edited by kf5nd; 02-28-07 at 10:48 AM.