View Single Post
Old 03-01-07, 04:55 AM
zepi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by big boy phil
That's the one I'm looking for. I wish there was more info on this bike. The 451 wheels and the caliper brakes....that's how I want my swift built. Any idea who this guy is?
I think these wheels are slightly larger than 20x451. With 451ers you can't directly put a classic race-bike caliper break on.

Here are some words on that from peter reich (I assume it is okay to post it here as this topic seems to be FAQ):

"I have a used Diacompe long-reach dual-pivot caliper
brake that will work with 451s on the steel frames. [...] New Shimano or Tektro 68mm calipers (RAB has these in stock) will work on the front. The 68mm ones just reach, so 65 will be too short and make contact with your tires. Assuming you'll be using traditional drop bars and levers and don't want V-brakes, another option is to use cantilever brakes with 406 rims. "
and
"[...] Tektro has recently introduced a nice long-reach (53-73mm) dual-pivot brake, which I'll be using when a customer requests 451 rims.
The reason I don't lower the rear brake bridge is that it precludes the use of fenders with fat-tired
406 wheels. It's always a juggling act to make one frame accomodate the many options between commuter
and recreational racer, but, thanks to Tektro, I'll be keeping the bridges high on the new frames[...]"

But anyway, I suppose the technical descussion of the swift is better located here. Sorry for spoiling the gallery with my long posting.

Last edited by zepi; 03-03-07 at 04:19 AM.