Peddlin' Around Detroit

Bikes: Legend, Saluki, Trek 730

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Bike Computer for Quick Release Wheels

I did searches through the bike forum on computers, and two things are clear:
* Wired computers offer the most bang for the buck and have less problems than wireless computers.
* Of the wired computers, the Cateye Astrale 8 is, well, the cat's meow.

I plan to do frequent rides in metroparks, so I'll have to transport my bike on every ride-day. And, I'm working on the notion of transporting my bike inside the car. At a minimum, I'll have to quick release the front wheel. Down the road, I may get into the habit of quick releasing both wheels every day I transport my bike to and from the park, to make it easier for the bike to ride in the trunk.

First question: I suppose it's possible to have a wired Cateye Astrale 8, but would it be worth the hassle of either keeping enough slack in the wire for quick releasing the wheel ... or disconnecting/connecting the wire on every ride day? For that matter, would a wired computer last very long, if you plan to quick release the wheel on every ride day?

Second question: Although ... in general ... wired computers are supposed to be more reliable than wireless ... are there good recommendations for accurate & consistent computers ... that are wireless? The most important things for me would be (1) actual speed ... (2) daily odometer ... (3) total odometer. Although not critical, it would be nice if the computer provided (A) average speed ... (B) cadence.

Since wireless would be the most practical for me, I wouldn't mind paying extra for an accurate & reliable wireless that can definitely do (1) (2) (3) above, and possibly (A) (B) above.