View Single Post
Old 03-02-07, 12:23 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I live pretty much in and around big city, downtown Seattle. I use my bike for ALL my errands, even ones that require a 60 mile trip (unless I'm picking up plywood sheets or lumber). I own a car that sits unused but 10 or so days a year.

I ride my bikes as my transportation and for recreation. I commute minimum of 7 miles each way to work, and extend that quite a bit for additional exercise. I usually ride 6 days a week unless I'm on a climbing or ski trip. I take tours on my bike for vacation, up into the mountains and across the mountains.

I ride the interstates and the state highways, country roads, suburban 8 lane 45mph arterials, 4 lane city arterials, two lane city streets, dirt roads, rails to trails, gravel roads, two track and single track. I ride the urban core, in suburbia, the countryside, and the wilderness.

For mileage this week, I've ridden on all types of roads in the greater Seattle metropolitan area -except interstate freeway miles- and will finish the week up at about 150-160 miles.(Feb-Mar 2007.) Summer I'm up to 250- 325 miles a week quite a bit if I'm fitting in weekend blitz tours. The city has only 4 percent bike laned roads, so i'm usually in the thick of traffic.

I don't take a lot of pictures while in heavy traffic. tough to break out the camera on rolling, eight lane, 45 mile per hour suburban arterials. BUT, here are some pictures showing the variety in my recreation and commuting environment.

Oh, yeah, I'm a high mileage, ADAPTIVE bicyclist. & VERY THANKFUL I get to ride as much as I do
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
VC9-4.jpg (20.6 KB, 802 views)
splittingthelane.jpg (13.6 KB, 839 views)
rockslide.jpg (51.3 KB, 803 views)
badbikelane.jpg (75.2 KB, 838 views)
rollingshoulder1.jpg (7.4 KB, 767 views)
skisgoingup.jpg (37.2 KB, 835 views)
avisign.jpg (41.7 KB, 829 views)
wetpuzzler.jpg (45.4 KB, 772 views)
bikewashout.jpg (99.9 KB, 913 views)
VC6no1.jpg (43.4 KB, 802 views)
tripletrailbike.jpg (82.3 KB, 882 views)
ebey-road.jpg (28.2 KB, 791 views)

Last edited by Bekologist; 03-03-07 at 10:35 PM.