Thread: Locks
View Single Post
Old 02-03-04, 05:09 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespeed
What is the best method of locking up a tandem. We never leave our tandem out of sight but the other day when my husband had walked back into the restaurant and I was standing outside next to the tandem, three guys came up acting like they were really impressed with the bike (maybe they were). We did have the drum brake on, so unless they would have known about releasing that they couldn't have just rolled it away. With three of them and just one of me, it was a bit intimidating. Any suggestions?
My philosophy is that the first lock that you put on your bike, regardless how cheesy, is about 90% effective because it forces the prospective thief to bring some kind of tool. As you go above 90% effectiveness you engage in an expensive game of one-upmanship with the thief which you will eventually lose. People with enough time and technology do occasionally break into bank vaults. I own an assortment of cables, chains and U-locks and I use whatever makes me feel like I've matched the local degree of risk.

A couple I know who own a very expensive tandem usually feel good with no lock at all. He's 6'7" and she's over six feet too. Their bike is so big that few other people can physically ride it.