Old 03-04-07, 07:15 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mudmouse
I use a terry butterfly which I like on my single, but it starts to get painful after about 30 miles on the tandem. I have a shock post, so I'm assuming an unsprung saddle.
Have you tried switching out the shock post for rigid just to see if that makes a difference?

What else is different about your riding position on the tandem compared to your single bike?
- Is the saddle set-back the same? This is the distance from the center of the crank axle to a plumb line dropped from the nose of your saddle
- How about the reach? This is the distance from the nose of your saddle to the center of your handlebar
- Handlebar height in relation to the saddle height?
- Nose tilt / angle of the saddle?

Sorry for all the questions, but if you have a saddle that works well on your single bike it "should" work pretty well on the tandem, all other things being equal noting that you sound like y'all are doing everything else such as proper riding attire, butt breaks, etc....

I'd just hate to see you getting into the sometimes never-ending cycle of saddle swapping if the saddle isn't the root cause of your discomfort.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 03-04-07 at 07:26 PM.