View Single Post
Old 03-05-07, 02:13 AM
jasong

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yan, I further inspected the hinge assembly today while removing the bottom bracket. Apparently, there are no washers between the frame_front,frame_rear inner interface (to revise my assembly: bolt head, washer, frame_front_interface, frame_rear_interface, frame_front_interface, washer, bolt head). Should there be anything other than listed? There is a fair amount of gap that exists between the two pieces, perhaps at max 2mm. This accounts for the movement that occurs between the frame halves when taking the quick release from open to close. Wiggling the frame when the hinge-safety is in place can push that gap to either side of the frame/frame interface.

Other notes:

The torque that the bottom bracket has been installed is well beyond any spec. After leaving liquid wrench on the threads for 20 minutes and tapping, I had to use a 2 foot breaker bar with perhaps 100 feet of downforce (200 ft-lbs) to break the cup. The opposite side wasn't as bad, but still ~50 lbs (100 ft lbs). This is a very bold move considering that the cups are steel and the BB shell is aluminum. I was surprised not to see the threads trashed inside the shell. In a bike that had been ridden for maybe 5 minutes, I could already see overuse on what appears to be the only ball bearing side (non-drive!) race. Apparently the drive side is sitting on some sort of bushing??? (very unsmooth, scratchy roll)

Also, the threads on the driveside crank bolt were completely stripped. Other side ok. There was no way the lockring on the non-drive side was going to come off the cup. I could see it already was rounded off from the installer. I rounded a bit off my lockring tool trying to remove it.

As I mentioned in an email, all of the fasteners holding on accessories like the guards/rack were way over torqued for their quality. One has to deform the bolt head to remove it (even after liquid wrench).

Headset is adjusted too tight.

Rims appear to be a hair large, as breaking bead on stock tires is challenging. Installing new Stelvio tires takes a bit of a grip.