View Single Post
Old 03-05-07, 09:24 AM
here and there

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Cant you carry the pants and shirts to work on the days you are not biking. Then its just the food you will have to carry on the bike.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night as I was going to bed. I'm already going to keep my work boots and various jackets at work, but it never occured to me to take clothes in for the week.

Originally Posted by trace22clawson
Have you considered a saddlebag instead of a pannier. I currently run panniers in the winter, but I'll switch to a saddlebag in the next few weeks when I don't have to carry as much to work. However, as was mentioned above, it's a real good idea to take your work clothes for the week into work on the days that you don't commute (cuts down on the weight and volume of what you carry as well as wrinkly clothes.) "Carradice" makes saddlebags in every size possible.
I have considered a saddlebag, but smallish panniers are cheaper (though at this point I'm realizing they may not be necessary). Eventually I'd like to get a saddlebag, but when I do I'd go with the whole quick release system to make it easier to switch between my commuting bike, my mountain bike, and whatever bike I get next.

Originally Posted by JanMM
You have to have permission from the school board to bike to work?
Thankfully, no. The only involvement from the school board is approving the funding for my position. I've worked there before as a student worker and last year as a fill in for about half the year when the Field Site Manager was off due to medical reasons. This year again the Field Site Manager will be off 6-8 months for medical reasons and I will be filling in. It's a fun job taking care of a 4 acre garden that is primarily used as a teaching instrument for the Horticulture department. I get a flexible schedule, good co-workers (there's only 5 of us), a secure place for the bike, lots of fresh air, and the satisfaction of enjoying what I do. The downside is the summer heat and the amount of weeds that pop up in spring/summer.