bigbossman 
Dolce far niente

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by dbakl
I'm sure that's true.

However, I've always said, this new technology shifting is a complex solution to a non-existent problem. If it was good enough for Eddy, it is good enough for me! For the top level racer, sure. For 99.9999% of the rest of the riders in the world? Come on!
Well, it's not a solution so much as an advancement of technology. As to whether friction is "good enough" or not, that wasn't the discussion at hand. But to answer your straw-man, I'm convinced it's WAY better than friction shifting, BY FAR. And even the most casual rider benefits from it's use.

But, I was replying directly to this assertion:

"When you need to shift across 2 or 3 cogs at a time, any linear motion system, indexed or not, has a huge advantage over STI, RapidFire, etc. When you want to trim your front derailleur cage, any non-indexed front shifter has a huge advantage over any indexed system. STI's only real benefit is in single-cog shifts..... "

Having used both systems extensively, I just don't see the "huge advantage" of friction. STI/Ergo is faster, easier to use, AND more precise. In my experience.

S. J. Perelman