Old 02-06-04, 10:03 AM
djbowen1

Bikes: Cervelo Soliost

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by familyman
My sister is going to the French Culinary Institute in June (I think she starts in June) and I volunteered to build her a bike so that she doesn't have to take her $800 mountain bike to get trashed smashed and stolen. So far I've sourced a lovely little (45 cm seat tube, 50 cm top tube) Bianchi road bike frame from our lovely friend ebay. Should fit her great, she's only 4-11. It's going to be a SS, and have a flat bar, that's about all that's been decided.
Now, what do I have to really think about when putting together a bike for urban riding. She's all of 90 lbs and not an agressive rider, but I really want to make the bike as maintence free as possible. I also want to make the bike as light as I can (she's going to have to carry it up stairs) but not spend too much on it. I'm planning to build the wheels myself after I build a few for me to get the hang of it. Puncture resistance is a huge concern, I'm thinking Armadillos and maybe tire liners on top of that. Flats are bad.
Anybody got any suggestions? Thoughts about riding in NYC?
If you see a short little white girl in chefs whites riding a red Bianchi next summer, say hi.
Has she ever ridden in a city before?