Old 03-06-07, 09:29 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Mike: One possible way to get "sponsored" is something like the AIDS LifeCycle ride (http://www.aidslifecycle.org/), which runs from SF to LA. I believe you need to raise at least $2500 and will get some fund-raising support from the tour managers.

Otherwise I think that learning how to travel inexpensively (e.g. camping) will be your best bet if you're really on a budget.

Originally Posted by gpsblake
At least you aren't doing a so-called charity ride to support yourself. I've seen and heard way too many stories of people riding for charity but using the charity money for their expenses, then donating what's left over to charity. Perfectly legal by the way.
Keeping in mind that I'd say group events like MS Rides are more efficient, and most people could not pull off a solo charity ride, and that this is a blatant thread derailing:

What's wrong with a solo charity ride, as long as your intention and actual effect is to a) raise money for the charity and b) raise awareness? It's operating on the same principles as any charity, which raises money to cover their overhead, administration and so forth.

Or do you really think that Jane Tomlinson is a genuinely bad person because she did a solo Transcontinental charity ride....?