View Single Post
Old 03-07-07, 10:55 AM
buzzman
----

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 4 Posts
oooh, getting doored can get ugly. Glad you're okay. It seems a pretty normal response on the part of cyclists to get up and put it behind us after a fall or a collision with a car. I've even seen it with motorcyclists, too. Maybe it's the embarassment factor or the "denial is my strongest coping mechanism" factor- the sense of "that didn't just happen did it?" or the "I don't want to make a big deal out of this."

But this is all the more reason why we should always get the license number and information from the driver. Often it's not until the next day, or later, that an injury may present itself. And you've missed a day of work- no small thing to your employer, your clients, your customers etc... I don't know if we're being all that fair to ourselves and to people in general when we let a driver like this so easily off the hook. Though avoiding the "door zone" and watching for opening doors is part of the cyclist's strategy the major responsibility in this incident falls on the guy opening the door. It's why we pay a fortune every year for auto insurance if we own a car.

It was an accident but one that physically injured you, one that cost you work, damaged your property (your bike) and caused your wife some anxiety. I'm not suggesting you sue the guy or that you be a selfish jerk about it but at the same time you have to place some value on what happened to you and how it impacts the people around you. I hope this guy pays your good will forward or something because you sure let him off easy. He was right to be super apologetic but I'm sure that was as much to protect himself as it was too ensure your well being. I hope you got insurance info etc in case you have any lingering injuries from this event.