View Single Post
Old 03-07-07, 10:56 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Technically mixte frames were designed for women. But have become somewhat acceptable for men over the years. In my looking around, it is hard to find one that isn't heavy. Most were made of steel and that combined with having two top tubes & two additional seat stays, leaves one with a fairly heavy road bike. I'm not aware of anyone offering a recent vintage, lighter weight mixte, but perhaps someone did (or even does).
Joseph Ahearne just won 'Best City Bike' at the NAHBS for the mixte he made for his girlfriend:

http://bikeportland.org/2007/03/03/m...ets-her-mixte/

Thanks to donnamb who provided the original link.

The question is, does Nermal need a super lightweight bicycle? Nermal says he's looking for something between a touring bike and a road bike, and a mixte fits the bill pretty well. I know Nermal's got to have longer legs than I've got . They are also pretty cheap to purchase, although Nermal lives in an area which doesn't have a lot in the way of Craigslist finds. There is, however, always eBay...

Many of us in the Classic & Vintage forum love our steel bikes .

East Hill