View Single Post
Old 03-08-07, 09:30 PM
Marylandnewbie

Bikes: Fuji Supreme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is a hurting puppy. On the way home a few blocks from the office suddenly the pedals seize up. I pull over and after a little investigating figure out that the lock ring on the casette has come loose. So I pull off the wheel and get the lockrinbg back at least hand tight. I put everything back together and rode off. About half way home as I'm climbing an overpass the pedals seize up again. Same problem, but this time I can neither tighten nor loosen the lock ring -- it is stuck about halfway out. So I start hoofing it home. Of course I have about 75 minutes to travel 4.5 miles to my son's debut band concert. (I made it for part of the concert but not all of it.)

Once I got home I started to pull things apart and found out that I have a broken axle and that has apparently affected the freewheel so it no long freewheels smoothly. Because of that the locking ring came unscrewed. Sometimes this whole bike thing sucks. The only good news is that even though the repair will not be cheap it will be cheaper than an equivalent repair on a car. So tomorrow I am a public transit and foot guy. Hopefully my trusty LBS can fix me up with something over the weekend.

Except for mechanical problems, tonight was great weather for riding. Ride safe everyone and have a great weekend.