Critterpace
Have bike will travel.

Bikes: Cannondale road and mtn.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale R700 RIP

Took the bike in to get overhauled and everything cleaned. Instead of getting ready for the riding season, I got bad news from my mechanic. Somehow, I managed to tear holes in the driveside chain stay and mar part of bottom bracket. He's not sure what caused it but said chainsuck could be a contributing factor. The bike, he said, is unsafe to ride. That's really sad because it was way to young to go this soon. I will get a second opinion. The type of damage would not be covered under the warranty.

My "opportunity" now is to decide if I want to replace the frame. I currently have a hardtail mountain bike that I use for mtn bike riding/touring. My R700 was for supported touring and group rides, kind of a go-fast bike - at least go fast for me. I wanted to do triathlons, but never got good enough in the other sports. I've looked at some replacement frames that the bike shop could get discounted, but can't justify the $1,400 to $1,700 for carbon fiber they want to sell me. Also, the $750 to replace the frame from Cannondale is pushing what I want to afford.

My options: do nothing and save money (which is not fun, but probably the more responsible way to go); consider a Surly frame like a lht or X check or go with the Cannondale frame. While sweet and discounted about $400 from msrp, the carbon fiber frames are just too pricey.

What would you do? I have 105 sti components except for the front derailer which is a tiagra. The chainring is a road triple. If I went with the Surly frames, the bike probably would become my grocery getter/group ride/go-fast/tour bike.