Thread: Dancyn
View Single Post
Old 02-10-04, 01:39 PM
Dwagenheim
In Banff, AB

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Worksman Trike (customized for hauling)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dancyn

After spending about a week in Playa del Coco, I finally met up with John and Heather. They easily spotted me on the street while I was setting my crafts up to sell for the weekend rush. I packed up my stuff and spent the rest of the day showing John and Heather around town. I hadn’t seen Heather since I rode my bike through Washington State. The next day we went shopping, filled up on water, and moved my stuff on the boat before cruising out to a nice bay near Playa del Huevos, a little further up the coast to the north. We dropped anchor to chill out for a few days in the peaceful bay, away from tourism, fishing boats, and other cruisers. I got to know more about living on a 32 foot sailboat (Dancyn), like how to cook, sleep, fish, and make and manage electricity. Getting fresh fish onboard was no problem at all. Every day we caught something with a fishing pole or spear gun. One day we went out snorkeling, looking for fish, and I caught my first fish with a spear gun. Heather cooked up great meals while we listened to tunes and talked about our interesting lifestyles. Strangely, there seemed to be lots of similarities to touring on a boat and touring on a bike. John and Heather had some interesting experiences checking into the country. As Heather and I went to Liberia, the capital of Guanecaste, John was stuck getting hassled by the immigration representatives about her leaving before getting the proper stamps. They figured for sure the woman wanted a bribe, a ‘solution’. So, after sharing in a bit of life on a sailboat I sent off good buds on their way down the Costa Rican Pacific Coast towards Panama, smiling from the great experience I had. John and Heather are going to be crossing the Pacific in March. Good Luck guys!
As John and Heather cruised south, I heard from a friend via email coming from the north. Itai, an Israeli friend I met in Pamplona, Spain three years ago, was in San Jose. I had one last night of selling artesanias, after a couple days of expressing some creativity and making some nice additions to the collection. I said farewell to my friends at Playa del Coco and in the middle of a 4 day bull riding festival, I took a bus to San Jose.

Peace

Dave
Whirrled Peas - No War!