Old 02-10-04, 08:44 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
Sorry, I honestly look in the previous threads to find my answer, but what I find are 'hints' at an answer.

This will be the last question on 8 to 9 speed conversion (from me anyway).

My Marinoni is 1998 Shimano 105 - 8 speed components. Hubs are Ultegra.

First of all, the STI shifters are on the way out, since i cannot buy 8 speed shifters I have been looking at a new pair of 9 speed STIs on ebay.

Second, since I need new transmission (chain, cassette & rings) anyway, I thought why not upgrade to a 9 speed. Problem is - I want to keep cost down (HAH!!) and use my 8 speed front and rear dérailleur.

Sooo, is there enough travel on an an 8 speed rear dérailleur to use with a 9 speed cassette?

Can I put a 9 speed cassette on an 8 speed Ultegra hub?

My first guess is YES to both questions above, but I always get caught with my pants down about something when I upgrade.

What am I missing?

Thks
Digger
The answers, I believe are: you can use the existing dérailleurs, they will do what the shifters tell them to do (shift 9 times on the rear,for instance) A 9-speed cassette fits just fine on the 8-speed hub (8sp/9sp freehubs are the same)