View Single Post
Old 03-11-07, 01:05 PM
Platy

Bikes: Schwinn folder; SixThreeZero EvryJourney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PD, the carfree are still an extreme minority in most places. It's good that we have this sub forum because I suspect most of us are pretty isolated.

My son surprised me by going from utterly car dependent to car free last year. It's been a blessing to have someone to talk with about cycling and car free issues.

My significant other is not and probably never will be car free but she very much supports our lifestyle. She bikes with us when she's able. She understands how we mostly keep the pantry supplied by daily bike trips to the store. When we go out to eat we often just walk to one of the nearby restaurants. I've taken SO out on dates on the city bus and she doesn't see much wrong with that.

We do let SO drive us in her car sometimes. That's great for dealing with issues like the legendary 40 pound sacks of cat litter. On the other hand we always make sure it's in the form of trading one favor for another.

Our little family group is in two adjacent apartment complexes. We solve a lot of economic and routine daily problems by cooperation.

I found it to be something of a challenge to be an isolated carfree person. The lack of group support wears you down. I hope in the future, as the carfree idea takes root, that it will be easier for us to find local social and family support.