Old 03-11-07, 03:11 PM
hulagun

Bikes: '35 Cycleplane, '87 Stumpjumper, '05 Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fixed gear age of riders? Kickstands?

Thanks for the friendly advice! I will absorb it all.

In light of warnings about fixies and age, I'm curious if there is an age gap between Swift riders with SS or FG bikes and those with multispeeds.

So - everyone chime in with your age and rear hub preference.

I am in fairly good shape for being 47 y.o. (YIKES.... born in the Fifties!) and I have fond memories of the Bendix 2-speed kickback coaster brakes of my day. (3 speeds seemed like a real luxury). oh, and some of my friends who ride fixies are well over 30.

But I am keeping an open mind. I don't want to hurt myself trying to get in better shape!

Hey what do you guys do for kickstands? I hate the crappy looking one they sell on the Xootr site. I really prefer the look of minimalist machines with a few tasteful small details (really like the "vintage" steel frame Swift owned by Zepi). No extra gadgets bolted all over the bike. I'm wondering if using a front brake lever with a locking button (if I can find a nice one) would be a cleverer solution than bolting a kickstand on. Just lean the bike on something solid, apply the brake, then lock the lever. Anybody tried this?