Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
First, this thread has nothing to do with VC or any VC theory that I know of. Certainly not directly. I happen to believe that it is an unstated premise in EC, but I have not confirmed that with Forester. Frankly, I don't know if he would even agree with Hurst on this point. Anyway, no one I know of associated with "VC" advocacy has articulated the importance of the cyclist taking full responsibliity for his safety the way Robert Hurst has.
Oh puhleeeeease. Don't quote from the bible then deny you're preaching, that's just too obtuse even by your standards.
"Quote from the bible"? What are you talking about? Quoting from Robert Hurst's book?

Originally Posted by Cyclaholic
You are confusing practical responsibility with legal responsibility.
Oh, I must have totally misunderstood you when you said...
Since I did not originally specify what I meant by responsibiilty, intentionally allowing each person to use whatever definition works for them
No, you did not misunderstand. You're just switching contexts. The "I did not originally specify what I meant by responsibiilty" referred to the original poll. By the time you made your comments, I had provided a much more specific explanation.

The cyclist can, and should, blame himself for being distracted and unprepared - that much (and ONLY that much) I agree with. The rest is a load of VC zealotry B.S.
Calling the point I'm making in this thread "VC zealotry" is hilarious. Again, this particular explicit take on responsibility is really pure Hurst, and has nothing to with anything Forester or any other "VC zealot" has ever written, so far as I know.

The only way I know to avoid being involved in a crash with the above is to not be on the road as them. The problem is that they are there, being killed by them is a consequence of the problem (a symptom) not the problem itself. If you truly beleive what you're saying then you would deal with the problem rather than just one of the symptoms. So how does Hurst suggest we address the problem? Oh yeah, that's right, just repeat after me "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa" is there enough room in the VC sandpit to stick my head in as well?
You're not even trying to understand.