View Single Post
Old 03-12-07, 12:38 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
Sure hope you're right, Dnvrfox. That SCR seems limited to the UK, and I ended up with REI's Randonee. Seems decent, and has gearing that could pull stumps, and I mean uphill. I'm having trouble adjusting to the drop style handlbars with STI shifters, but today is day, so that's not unexpected.

Great crew at REI, by the way. I called for availability on Friday. They had the smallest size, but not assembled, and they simply didn't do that on Saturdays. I went down, mentioned something about the 187 mile trip Farmington to Alb, and darn if the didn't get it ready. Good pricing too. In addition to the usual member discount, there was a 20% extra, I believe on anything in the store, but only for one purchase, or something like that.

I do wish they hadn't let Igor torque the peda, and I really don't want them to be unhappy.ls down with a 4' cheater bar. I can't get them off to change them out. This is a job for the LBS

EDIT because the final makes no sense, at least to me. Anyhow, I can't get the pedals out to install the SPDs that I haven't bought yet. For this reason, I definately hope the LBS isn't unhappy about the sale going to REI. At least it is not a brand carried by a local competitor.

Good research. 41cm might even be too small for me, but sure looks good, especially at the price.

You are turning the pedals in the right direction? Stiff pedals- make certain that you have a tight fitting spanner and then just a knock with a 2lb club hammer works for me. I also started on road bikes with drop handlebars last year and it took me a while to get down into the drops- I still don't that often but into a headwind or fast downhills and I am glad they are there. I ride a 42cm frame so 41 is not going to make all that amount of difference. Just spend a bit of time getting the saddle position correct and if you think you have to change the bar stem- Think about what you want. I worked out that I needed a higher stem and just a bit longer. I tried a couple in the spares box and even sat on the bike with a broom handle poised on top of the bars with spacers to get the right height. It worked. Told the LBS the length and rise I wanted- fitted it- and its perfect. Other choice is to get an adjustable stem but even then- try to work out the length you want.

Spike Milligan