View Single Post
Old 03-12-07, 10:08 PM
Alekhine
1. e4 Nf6

Bikes: Mercian KoM with Rohloff, Bike Friday NWT, Pogliaghi Italcorse (1979)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Telecommuting is easiest by far if you can find a job that is compatible with it. It means you don't have to "go" to work at all.

Just wake up and sit down at the computer and start working. There are many jobs like this, the toughest being any attempt to make it as an artist or writer, and probably the most industry-like being anything IT-related or medical transcription, the latter of which requires minimal training - but that employment ends up being piecework, like garment seamstresses at the turn of the 20th century: Pay per production, not flat hourly rate, and you'd better know how to compose a sentence and hear through the awful accents and speed-talkers.

On the plus side with any telecommuting job, you don't have to do it at home or at the same place ever. If you are in a city with good wifi, you can get a laptop, stow it in a pannier, go to the local cafe and start working, or just work in your jammies at home. Often these jobs allow you to set your own hours too.

What I do is similar, but very specialized. I work as a telecommuting medical editor on the one hand, and as a pretty in-demand local jazz piano teacher on the other (which means I can charge my students very high hourly fees compared to the traditional "old lady down the street" piano teacher). Combined, I do extremely well for myself money-wise, and it fits in very well with car-free because I never have to leave the house for any work I do and never have to deal with a boss hanging over my head ever, which I must say is the sweetest perk of all.