SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Prime Directive
I don't believe I have ever read why sidewalk bicycling against traffic is more dangerous than with. Can anyone explain this?

To me it seems that there would be no difference. The dangerous areas of sidewalk riding are driveways, sidestreets, and intersections. However, traffic can turn into any of these from either direction (left or right turns), so why is it more dangerous to ride in a direction opposite of the nearest vehicular traffic that you aren't even a part of? Are pedestrians similarly at greater risk?
I can't say I've ever seen an explanation either, but at a guess I'd say it is possible there could be a greater risk from vehicles at driveways, alleys & intersections. Vehicles intersecting with the street the hypothetical sidewalk cyclist rides beside will have attention focussed on the first lane they intend to cross or join, which would be away from the oncoming Captain Sidewalk.

The other vehicles do have a responsibility to check both the traffic and pedestrian traffic from Captain Sidewalks direction, but it seems possible that the main focus while turning would be to oncoming traffic in the lane they're crossing or joining. This could result in a bit of confusion Captain Sidewalk might regret.

I love that nickname, Caaaaptain SiiiiideWaaalk!