deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyknacks
Ok, I have a question about hand positions.

My old ten speed bikes that I had in high school (Schwinn Varsity and Schwinn World) had drop bars with those brake extension levers that hook to the brakes so you can brake from the tops of the bars. My current bike (25 years later) is a mountain bike with flat bars. The difference is that my hands are at the end of the bars now instead of in front of my body near the stem. I remember that old hand position as much more comfortable although not as stabile. This wider position on the flat bars I have now fatigues my shoulders after awhile.

Was the old position better?
Or am I remembering this wrong?
Will cyclocross type drop bars with intermediate brake levers put my hands back near the stem?

Matty in Brooklyn
I guess you would have to check a LBS for sure, but the couple of Cyclocross bikes I have seen in shops have those intermediate brake levers pretty close to the stem. If you did it yourself of course you could put them wherever you wanted.

I will let others comment on drop bars as I haven't ridden a drop bar bike since I road my sisters 10 speed Schwinn about 25 years ago. My next bike will have them though.