View Single Post
Old 03-19-07, 06:19 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
I hadn't seen this thread, I just proposed something similar on the JF thread! It could be done on a volunteer basis with a spreadsheet and volunteer reporting from members collecting data in their municipalities. I'll be glad to to the computer work and perhaps we can arrive at some current data.
Originally Posted by Paul L.
Ok, well here it is, a recent comment from Brian on the thread which shall remain nameless has got me thinking. Assuming we had money to run such a study, what would we do to make an objective study of Bike Lanes Vs. Wide Outside Lanes vs. Narrow shoulder lanes Vs. Share the road sections.

I'll start.

We would need to conduct the study in such a way as the participants would not realize to what end the data was being gathered so as not to skew their input.
A large group of beginning cyclists would need to be used to determine what help facilities actually gave them if any.
The study would have to include many different cities but categorize the bike lanes in their degree of VC friendlieness (ending before an intersection, crossing over a right turn lane, staying to the right of the right turn lane).
The study would need to be able to ascertain the cyclists knowledge and comfort with cycling in traffic.
The average daily vehicle number would need to be taken into account to compare roads and cities as well as speed limits.

Ok, that is my start on it. I have to go but please submit your input. Not that it will go anywhere but wouldn't it be fun to send to League of American Bicyclists or find a safety organization that might show some interest in it? Or at least get us all thinking together for a few minutes about what we really should expect from a bonafide study on bicyle facilities and methods in the current day and system.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant