View Single Post
Old 02-22-04, 09:07 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Hmmmm.

Originally Posted by uncan_iller
I have a slight problem with my rear derailleur, and hope you might have some suggestions. It is a non rapid rise XTR 2002 model I think

The body of the derailleur is rubbing on the drop out when in the largest chainring. Chain length appears to be correct, B screw adjustment appears to be correct. The deraileur body does not rub in the middle or small chainring. The XT derailleur it is replacing did not have this problem, and I have kept the same chain length.

Has anyone had this problem before and how did you solve it.
Did you change anything else when you installed the new derailleur? That sounds to me like it might be a chain line problem or, more likely, a new wheel that has a slightly narrower spacer on the cassette side. You might have a slightly bend dropout, but dropouts usually bend in and it sounds like yours would have to have bent outward.

The "hammer-handle" solution might be to install a washer under the right locknut to space your wheel a little farther over. If it was my bike, I'd check the dropout alignment and look a little harder for the underlying cause. I don't think this should be happening.