View Single Post
Old 02-16-01, 08:16 PM
mike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Too frightening!

Cambrone, that story is too frightening. You are a lucky cat. If you have the courage to bike again after that, then you are a big big man.

Is it just me, or are motorists becoming less sensitive to bicyclists. It seems that these days I have close calls with automobiles at least every other day. The worst offender for our area are women who do not go around me or give me enough clearance. Sometimes their cars even brush me as they go by. They just keep going - sometimes even looking in the rearview knowing that they hit me.

The other day, I followed a woman to the light, knocked on her window, and politely told her that she almost hit me. She said "Ya, it seemed really close... I just wasn't sure how to go by you", she said. "Didn't know how to go by me", so she decides just to go straight through me!

As fewer people bicycle, motorists are becoming less aware of bicyclists and less skillful at sharing the road with them. THIS, I see is one of the biggest threats to the expansion of bicycling as a form of transportation in the USA.

Mike