goodall
draw line at carbon forks

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD6 w/ 105, Fuji Track Pro, Windsor Cliff 4900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joshalope
I'm new to Queens myself (since August) and most of the city cycling culture/pals that I have experience revolves around Manhattan (even the bike shops, because the 2 near my house suck). So far, riding in Queens has been solo. 2 Weeks ago though, I raced in a spring series event along with some guys from the Kissena club and spent some time hanging out with them after the race, they seem pretty cool, although I couldn't tell you more than that. My advice would be to join the Century Road Club Association (CRCA), and be on the lookout for sub-teams (which is what I've done). It's a racing club, not just a bike club, and you have access to all sorts of free coaching (like the stuff I had that sparked this thread). Or you can be the first member of my club,

"The Queens Tough Club" - Kings of the Road Since 1982

Anyway Queens is a neat place to cycle because depending on where you are, there is relatively easy access to Central Park for some quick loops if you're pressed for time, but you've also got access to Long Island for putting on some miles. I myself will go into New Jersey when I have a day free, which is really nice riding, and I know almost all the good bagel spots in Bergen County also. Send me a PM when you get here and we'll go riding. If you don't mind me asking, what part of Queens?

Thanks for the info, the Queens Tough Club is a totally bada-- name, i'm going to have to steal that! I'm trying to get a job with city in transportation or transit, which have a lot of operations in Long Island City. My wife paints and LIC has a lot of studio space, so we want to live close by, like maybe in Sunnyside? I really don't know that much about the neighborhoods. Just somewhere somewhat cheap, somewhat safe, and lots of immigrants. Do you have any recommendations? I'm psyched to get out to Kissena, from what little track racing I've done I much prefer it to road racing. I'll definitely PM you once I get out there.