chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Whether they 'might' see cannot be relevant to how you ride if you actually never assume anyone sees you or is paying attention to you....

Chip, you're skimming or something. I'm not telling you how to ride. I'm trying to illustrate - by using the hypothetical example of riding at night dressed in black - of how you would actually have to ride if you actually never assumed anyone saw you. The point is riding during the day in bright clothing is radically different from riding at night in dark clothing with no lights because during the day you are seen, and you do assume you are seen. If you really did never assume anyone sees you or is paying attention to you... then you would have to ride just like invisible cyclists dressed in black ride at night.
HH, you are being deliberately thick here I suspect. Can you not see the difference between ASSUMING nobody sees you - an assumption, and doing everything you can to be visible - AN ACTION. After all this time do you still not understand the concept of planning for Murphy? That does not mean I have to ride like someone WHO DOES NOT WANT TO BE SEEN, which is the point of riding ninja at night. It also means that I don't rely on telepathy, cryptic signals, eye contact and such to 'confirm' someone sees me - I assume they do not see me until their actions make the point moot. I save my telepathy for forcing idiots off the road so I can assault them.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey