Old 03-24-07, 05:41 PM
snhrider
NE Roadie

Bikes: 2006 Colnago C50, 2003 DeRosa Merak, 2001 Litespeed Vortex, 2001 Lemond Buenos Aires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crashed today, fractured clavicle, what's next ??

Suffered one of my more serious accidents after racing for 2 years. Crashed today in a training race, broke my left collarbone into three, cracked my helmet and had some pavement souvenirs on my body. I touched wheels with the rider in front of me as we went into a sharp corner. Maybe its my fault, maybe its not. Luckily, no one else was taken down in the crash (except me) as it happened mid-pack. After the race, I drove 90 miles back home straight to the ER (thanks for automatic transmissions). Got X-rayed, tetanus shots and a 'lecture' from the physician for driving that far and went home with a sling.

Kinda bummed out as this happened early in the season and will be missing some of the races I have planned. I am sure some of you folks have experienced collarbone injuries as this is pretty common for cyclists. Thoughts on how long is recovery (doctor said 6-8 weeks), when to expect as far as being able to race, tips/how to continue to train while immobile ? I wish I could write better with more specifics about what happened but its difficult typing only with one right hand. Thanks in advance.