Old 02-25-04, 03:04 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
So, is there a web site somewhere that explains how to get started cycling? How much, how long, etc.

First of all, don't make it too complicated. It is good to bone up on terms and explore what is out there but the main thing is you. Bike riding is bascially the same as you remember it the last time you rode. The basic ride won't change especially since it is the same bike.

What you should focus on is you. Pay attention to how you feel on the bike. Getting tired? Slow down a little. Feel like going home? Go home. THe key is to make the ride something that you wish to repeat every day. Ride in interesting places, use the ride as a place to daydream. (some call it meditate)

IOW, make sure it is enjoyable. THis is much the same thing that applies to dieting. Most people go crazy with their diet and make it too miserable. They quickly fail and give up. While if they would have just cut back on a few things and watched their fat intake they could have found a dietary lifestyle for years to come.

I too am an ex smoker. (6 years on April 5th ) I am only 34 but I still know that quitting smoking is one of the toughest things you can do. RIding a bike is easy compared to that, trust me. I've ridden (mountain bike) virtually every day since August. I don't go far, just about 12-15 miles for an hour each day. It is often the best hour of the day.

Congrats on quitting the smokes. I hope you find cycling as rewarding as I do.