View Single Post
Old 03-25-07, 09:36 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
[QUOTE=genec]Hate to be a naysayer, but they are rather ugly...

I admit the Type 5 and Type 6 were ugly monsters. I designed them strictly from wind tunnel data and didn't care if they were eye-appealing or not.

The Type 9 was designed by Mellisa (the girl driving the Type 5 in the photo) and it's not as good looking as it could be for two reasons. First it was based on a large truck, the Kenworth, which is a lot like a Mack truck. Large trucks aren't particularly know for their grace. Second, the girls are in the "eight and up club", which means they are good looking, and only associate with other girls whose good looks rank them an 8 or above on a scale of one to ten. So she was aiming to make the bike look like a 7 or seven and a half (on a scale of on to ten) so it wouldn't be better looking than any or her friends.

The girl was a genius. The Type 9 is the only bike I sold at a profit. I got twelve hundred dollars for it and it only cost two hundred seventy in materials, so I made a 400% profit. Someone's girlfriend liked Mellisa's design so he bought it for her as a gift. It was like an auction, there were at least ten other offers over seven hundred dollars.

I deliberately let a girl design the ladie's bike version because ladie's bike go with skirts, and if I was to decide what goes with or what clashes with a skirt, I'd have to be some kind of fruit-cake.