View Single Post
Old 03-25-07, 11:41 AM
fat_bike_nut

Bikes: 2010 Surly LHT (main rider and do-everything bike), 2011 Bike Friday NWT (back-up bike and multi-modal)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I stumbled into bikeforums one day. Being a bicycle nut, I wandered around all of the forums, but I got into the "car-free" thing because of Ken Kifer, whose website lead me to a whole bunch of car-free cyclists, and also after learning about this thing called "Peak Oil"

I only stumbled into bikeforums later on, and that was about the time that the car-free forum itself was new and had just opened. I followed the discussions on the board for a while, but felt the need to jump in and spew my own opinions on things at all of the forums I visit, and here I am. I already introduced myself a little in a previous thread, I believe. I'm the guy who's planning to move to Seattle, where I have a ton of aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.

I really want to get more of the "utility" aspect out of cycling, so I frequently visit the Commuting forum. I also visit the Touring forum because...that's what got me interested in cycling as an adult in the first place. I like to ride fast and far, so I also visit the Long Distance Cycling sub-forum. Lastly, I visit the Clydesdale forum because...well, just look at my username

I have absolutely no interest in racing, either on the road or on mountain trails, but I follow it a tiny bit in order to know who this Lance Armstrong guy is that everybody keeps talking about

Orange County isn't an easy place to be car-free, because the roads are clearly designed for cars around here. Even moreso than Los Angeles, the metropolis to the north of us. It doesn't help that the drivers think nothing of going 20+ MPH over the speed limit on residential streets.