View Single Post
Old 03-26-07, 08:53 AM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by trek1
So you are saying that if I use Stans sealant I should not have to worry about it? I might give it a try but was reluctant since they said the Bontrager tubeless rims were not that good with sealant. Is it a mess when you have to change them? Does sealant plug only small punctures? I have only one flat in 2 years and that was from a barbed wire piece on the trail.
When you say the Bontrager tubeless isn't that good with sealant, what exactly do you mean? I have no experience with Bontrager tubeless, so I don't know. But surely they're as good as Stan's "Poor Man's Tubeless System" , which uses standard tires and standard rims with only a special rim strip and sealant. I do know I've helped a few folks with UST systems add the Stan's sealant, and their days of flat tires are over. I believe I've heard the Stan's sealant will plug holes as large as 1/4" in diameter, FWIW. There used to be a photo of Stan on the website (maybe there still is) with a tire that has a BUNCH of screws driven into it, with the tire still holding air..........The Stan's sealant is really good, that's for sure, it's basically liquid latex I think, but it's even formulated to work in sub-freezing temps. If you can get the tire inflated initially, you should be good to go. An air compressor is very handy for initial inflation, because you have to force enough air into the tire to seat the bead before the sealant can do its job. It's tough to do with a hand pump from my experience. Also, get some soapy water and thoroughly wet the bead of the tire on both sides before inflating, it will help immensely with seating the bead. Once inflated, you shouldn't have any problems, and you can top the pressure off occasionally with a hand pump if needed. I'd recommend keeping the tire pressure at or below 40psi. I usually run about 35psi, and love it-

Last edited by well biked; 03-26-07 at 09:51 AM.