Old 03-26-07, 10:05 AM
filmgrrrl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knee replacement advice

Hi folks,

I'm hoping to hear from those with experience about their knee replacements. I had the miniscus removed in '72 after a softball injury, and it's way bone-on-bone now. I've done tons of physical therapy, synvisc shots, then an arthoscopic surgery in december, which found an area about the size of a quarter without cartiledge on the bone. the doc said "knee replacement", even though he's a sports injury doc, who does everything to avoid replacement, and doesn't perform replacements himself.

It's severely limited my riding--25 miles is too far at this point, though that would have been a light ride this time last year. 15 miles is the most i can do, and it's painful during and after. I do recover quickly, the next day it's stiff but not too sore. I can walk, but have pain after a mile or so. I've not been able to train for my favorite ride--a 2 day AIDS ride in April--and have had to give up dancing.

I was leaning towards replacement more because of quality of life than pain. If I restrict myself in these ways--ride but only short rides, few hills, little dancing, short walks--I can continue without the surgery. On the other hand, the only hope for recovering these things, which are very valuable to me, are by having the replacement.

My concern is that the people who report being happiest with their replacements are those in real pain, which i am not. i can walk around normally, though it never leaves my mind. Also, professionals recommend putting it off as long as possible, both for the sake of improved prosthetics as well as the possibility of having to have it done again later in life. I'm 52 now.

Any other cyclists have knowledge/experience with this? and could render informed advice?

I'd be interested in input.

thanks,

filmgrrrl
austin, texas