Old 03-30-07, 06:48 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Nope, my office is 43 miles from my house, there are NO jobs that pay anything close to what I make within a 35 mile radius of my current home. I don't consider myself "most" people, but with the way the current job market is many people don't have a choice they get the job where they can.

The cost of a new equivalent home closer to my office is double to quadruple what my current home is worth.

I have moved with my jobs several times, never have I "demanded" or expected a certain sized lot or home. In fact my current home is under 1000sf. BTW it costs MONEY to move, pay deposits, etc. and for a what? A job that may or may not have any longevity. It sucks to have to move too often...I have done it too many times. And just to add fuel to the fire...could your job be next?

Aaron
Aaron, not to pick on you, but since you provided the examples, I will discuss.

Your first decision was to purchase a home 35 miles from any job you want to take. For me, that should be the end of the discussion. You've sealed your car-centric fate. My point is, that if you really didn't want to drive a car you would not live where you live - and I don't think you can deny that.

Yes, moving costs money and I'm not suggesting that you move with every job. On the contrary, my suggestion would be that you move to a central location and find jobs nearby. I expect tons of resistance and reasons why a person can't do that... the kids, my wife's job, home costs, etc - but the central fact is that people do not want to live this way. They want to choose their house/apartment/etc based on some other issue and have come to accept 20-30-60+ minute commutes.

Considering the current state of public transit your options are fairly limited. I suspect that less than 1/2 of the total US population lives with in range of decent public transit. And if your company choses to move you to another location or terminate you what are your choices?
My response: Then 1/2 of the total US population could either a) demand that transportation be built or b) move to a location that already has it. If your company "asks" you to move, you either make sure it's in an acceptable location, or you find another job.