Old 03-30-07, 09:01 AM
derath

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Derath, when you say you have a 15-18 foot plot, does that mean 15 by 15 or 18 by 18?

I am reading the Square Foot Gardening book and have recently sectioned off my veggie garden in squares. I have kept a garden for the last 5 years, but last year the yield was terrible... I probably spent too much time on my bike and too little weeding. I'm going to give this methodology a try... set what happens. One great thing about SFG is that you can get a lot of veggies out of a small space. He argues that most suburban gardens are too big!!

I just set 4 lettuce seeds in pots on my deck. My wife has had great results growing herbs and tomatoes in pots, so I'm going to try it with some early lettuce.

Yea mine is pretty big. I rarely have planted more than 50% of it and still get more food than I can handle. The rest of the space I plant useful flowers etc that attrack certain insects so that I don't have to use pesticide. My garden is 100% chemical free!

Anyhow, my garden space is 15ftx18ft. I blocked it off with pretty 1 foot square pavers for walking areas so it looks nice and pretty. I ended up with somewhere in the range of 190 squares for planting.

-D