Old 04-01-07, 02:57 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by man of calibre
I am getting a frame custom built. The concept is to be a light tourer type thing: 'freeeroad' if you take Specialized terminology, 'Country bike' if you are a fan of Rivendell.

I am quite lightweight (60kg) so do not require really strong wheels but would like the reassurance of 135mm OLN for strength on rough roads, also because this width seems to be the standard for almost all non-road applications, and is used on modern hub gears like the SRAM iMotion and Dual Drive (not that I would use these on the bike I have in mind). My question concerns the effect that the choice of 135mm OLN would have on the Q-factor of the pedals. I understand that the narowest Q factor is to be found on chainsets based around road doubles and 'compact' doubles, with road triples being a little wider. Would I be able to use these as the manufacturer intended or would I have to have a long axle to get the chainline right?

I intend to have 435mm chainstays so am not concerned that heel clearance or clearance of the cranks on the chainstays will be a problem unless anyone can prove otherwise.
Sounds like something your frame builder should be able to discuss with you. You're paying a premium for a custom frame, ask questions.