Old 04-02-07, 12:17 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
ntry/world, SF is it's own beast and right now spring is in the air. Any road bike in ready-to-ride condition will sell all day long at $150.
I completely agree with this. But how ride ready is that bike, really? I think it's important for Roflmar to know that even a $150 bike like this will likely need some attention. Sure, the BB might spin, but with 25 year old grease, if ridden on long, it'll destroy the cups. Of course, a used BB in good condition is not that hard to find cheap, or free, but the OP will be be paying for repair service. Same with the headset. And I have yet to find a 25 year old bike in original condition that didn't need new cables and housing. Sure, they may work, but not very well. Simple repair, and cheap, if you know how to do it. My guess is that it also needs new brake pads and bar tape.

Very few vintage bikes are sold truly ride ready. Personally, I think Roflmar should factor reconditioning costs into the budget. The price paid for a vintage lightweight is usually for the frameset, and for the components if they are high end. So if Roflmar finds a nicer bike in the newly stated budget range of $200-$250, he/she will likely find a better frameset, but the same need for reconditioning.