Thread: RTFM!
View Single Post
Old 02-22-01, 07:00 AM
Cambronne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few months ago, I procured a Georgia Driver's Handbook, in order to see just how road legal bikes... in general, and mine in particular... are in this state.

To my great relief, I found the answers I was looking for, and they were all in my favor:

Chapter XII, Bicycle Safety.

We're allowed to ride on all of Georgia's secondary roads, and primary arteries unless specifically posted otherwise. We are NOT allowed on limited access highways.

We are "requested" to ride as far to the right side of the pavement as possible, and to ride no deeper than two abreast. We are "required" to observe all traffic signs and signals, as if we were motor traffic.

In exchange, and I've highlighted this part, we are to be given the same right of way as any other vehicle, yielding, of course, to pedestrians and fat drunken jerks driving overloaded log trucks. Okay, I made up that last part.

Our bikes are "required" to have: One front light, and one rear reflector. It is "recommended" that we run a taillight of some kind. Bikes manufactured after 1996 are "required" to have a front reflector, pedal reflectors, and wheel-spoke reflectors. (So, how does one tell whether a bike is pre- or post- 1996? How many cops can spot a 9 speed cassette?)

Riders under 16 years of age are "required" to wear Snell approved helmets. Adults' brains are apparently not as precious. No specifics on eyewear, spandex, or Time/Look-compatible footwear.

I keep a copy of the handbook in my rack trunk... and wouldn't you know, not long ago on a pre-dawn commute, I was pulled over by a county deputy, who demanded to know why I was riding illegally on "his" road, obstructing traffic. I showed him the book. He got angry, but he let me go, saying "I'll be watching you."

Great. Super. Now I have to keep an eye out for cops as well. And, as you know, you can't bonk them on the snout with a frame pump and send them whimpering bact to their yards...