Old 04-03-07, 11:11 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
First I wonder why you say "only" 14 per cent. That's a hell of a lot. It's also generally the easiest portion of energy usage to conserve on, since most car trips are a total waste.

According to environmentalists, the "Big Three" consumer-driven uses of energy are:
  1. Transportation
  2. Shelter (materials, heating, cooling and water use)
  3. Food
(Not necessarily in that order.)

It makes most sense to concentrate your conservation to those three areas, where you'll have the biggest impact. I walk and ride my bike to take care of number one. I can't do a lot about number two because I rent, but I do conseve by using less water and keeping the thermostat at a reasonable level.

My big crusade is locally grown organic food. Organic is a little better for the environment, and doesn't utilize fertilizers made from oil and natural gas. Locally grown means much less fuel was used in getting the food to me. And getting the food on my bike means I'm not using as much fuel either. A bonus is that the food tastes much better, is always fresh, and usually doesn't cost any more. And it's fun to shop for local food.

"Think Outside the Cage"