Thread: Where to go...
View Single Post
Old 04-09-07, 10:21 AM
GCRyder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re-reading your post, it sounds like what you're asking is - assuming that you're going to negotiate this turn "pedestrian-stye" (because you can't get to the left turn lane) - whether you should position yourself in front of the through traffic on the cross-street, or in a spot that blocks the right turners. I usually opt to be in front of the through traffic. From a simple courtesy standpoint, you're not holding them up if the light is red in their direction, and you can get out of their way once you're past the path of the right turners. Also, I feel like those going through the intersection are more likely to notice me in front of them. The right turners are looking for cars coming from the left, and seem more likely not to detect the "radar blip" of a bicycle while their attention is diverted away from the road right in front of them.

I don't know if there is any "gospel" on this situation, but this what gives me the highest level of comfort when I traffic forces me into a "pedestrian turn."