Old 04-10-07, 06:38 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by datepalm3@earth
I'm building up a new bike and need to select some wheels. I'm not racing (to say the least), but it would be nice to have reasonably decent performing wheels for 30-60 mile rides. And...I may end up doing a bit of touring once or twice a year, so I also want my wheels to be able to deal with the periodic added weight of some panniers (mostly on the rear).

The Open Pros seem to get a lot of press, but I just wanted to see if people recommend them for what I've described above. Again, not looking for a racing wheelset, rather something that's good performance, but also sturdy.

Currently, Performance offers a build with 14/15 Wheelsmith spokes (3 cross), and Ultegra 32-spoke hubs (wasn't sure if I need 36?).

I don't know how much weight my rack and loaded panniers would add to the bike, but I weigh roughly 150 pounds.

Thanks

That sounds reasonable to me. If, however, you get the wheelset from Performance you will need to get the wheels retensioned by a competent builder. Their machine built wheels are not, in my experience, ready to ride.