Old 03-13-04, 07:57 AM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by late
Hi,
I call em foot nazis. Facitis..fascist...nazi. Lay off running for a week. That is not long enough to heal. But it is long enough to see if you can ride. You have to get the inflammation down. That may require taking it easy for a while.
Here are some things I have tried. I had no luck with orthotics. I use Superfeet cycling innersoles. They are pretty good. A custom cycling shoe would be better. It would also be $500-700. Superfeet are about $25. ****, I'm sorry, but here comes the fun stuff. They make blue cooler packs. The kind you want are shaped like a book with curved sides. They make a very effective way to ice down your facitis. Hurts like hell. Next up is keeping the inflammation down. This may be worse. There is an anti-inflammation diet. It is torture. It works. Let me know if you want it; I'll try to remember the name of the book. Next up is the ritual. Warm the feet, stretch, ice, take some anti-inflammatories. Then don't move until the advil (or other) starts to work. The idea is to get the inflammation down and keep it down. I found shoes and boots with stiffeners in the sole bothered me. Which was the end of my hiking. Oh..to answer your question, the pounding from running is prob the primary irritant for the facitis.
I also found I need to replace sneakers fairly regularly now. When they start to lose shock absorbtion, they're gone. They make my feet hurt. I have an idea. Bounce it off anyone you wish. I haven't tried it. When you start back in exercising, start with calf exercises. Do them every 2nd day for a couple weeks, adding resistance. When you start running, start on a treadmill. Add a little incline to reduce shock. Might br a dumb idea, but I was thinking strenghtneing the calf might help keep the foot properly positioned riding.
I know, it sounds like I should just lay off the running, but it always seems to go away if I stop biking and just run...however, I like cycling, and i did spend 1300 bucks on a gorgeous road bike.

I have the green superfeet insoles in my running shoes. I hate them, but I am afraid to take them out. they weigh like 2 oz each, they squeak, and are really stiff in the forefoot, meaning that speedwork is torture if I forget my fast trainers. however, there is no arch pain with them in. In fact, I have no pain right now, and it has been about a week since I've ridden, however, I did put in 48 miles this week and I'm going to do another 8-9 today. see what I'm saying?

I'll try the superfeet cycling insoles. I'm looking at the site, they are the grey ones, right?