View Single Post
Old 03-14-04, 07:14 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by VINCENT228
I Live In Ct.
My Wife And I Have Recently Seen A Tandem Bicycle In Walmart For Under $200.00.
Well Never Having Rode A Tandem, But Being Interested In Them It Seems To Be A Good Way To Get Into It.
"but" When We Went To Purchase It The Store Was Out And When I Asked The Young Man In The Department When And If They Were Getting More He Said "i Dunno" (i Guess The Drool Dripping Down His Chin Should Have Been A Good Indication Of The Response I Was Going To Get). Has Anyone Seen These Before And If So Where Can I Get It?
I think that you're betting against yourself. You want to buy a cheap tandem so that, if you don't like it, you won't have much to lose. The fallacy of that is that you are buying a bike that probably isn't going to be very much fun to ride so obviously, you won't use it.

When I owned my own bike store, I used to keep three tandems in stock. One was a $500 - $600 Raleigh or equivlent, one was a $1,400 Burley, and one was a $2,600 Santana. ANYBODY could immediately tell the quality differences riding one after the other. The biggest difference is the stability of the frames. After riding the Santana, the Raleigh feels scary because it's so wobbly and that's still a much better bike than the one you were considering.

I don't want to discourage you. My wife and I have been riding tandems together for over 25 years and we love it. If you want the enjoyment of riding together, I'd strongly recommend spending a little more money for a better bike.